hi all

At 10:30 1999/07/30 +0930, erika wrote, in part:
>Our brother-in-law (55), of whom we are very fond, is in a fairly
>advanced stage of PD.

how long since he was diagnosed?

>Over the last half year or so, he has had mild episodes of paranoia,
>which have now aggrevated to a stage where he is afraid to eat, because
>he thinks that his food has been tampered with to harm him. He feels at
>times that people are colluding against him. He has lost a frightful lot
>of weight. It also means that it is very difficult for him to trust his
>close family, his doctor etc.
>My question is: Is this a "normal" symptom of the disease in some
>parkensonians,

no it isn't

>or can it be brought about by the medication?

yes it definitely can

>If it is likely to be the medication, does anyone have experience with a =
>particular medication being worse than other producing paranoia?

almost every pd med can cause psychosis
if taken to excess

this is serious brain chemistry

who is his neuro?
when did he see her/him last?
does she/he specialize in pd?
if your brother-in-law is losing cognitive touch with his world
he needs help now, as in you, to deal with the medicos on his behalf

he needs to have his med and side effects and symptoms
evaluated and 'tuned down' asap
before things get any worse

search the archives using DRUG INDUCED PSYCHOSIS

please read joes story if you haven't yet

its on my website in the pienet/words/nuggets section

my med regimen is relatively 'spare'
which means i tend to be under- rather than over-medicated

which means i choose to be more 'off' like now
when typing is a tad difficult
rather than run the risk of over-dose and its side-effects

there but for grace...

janet

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
snail-mail: PO Box 171  Almonte  Ontario  K0A 1A0  Canada
website: a new voice <http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/>
e-mail: <[log in to unmask]>