hi all

At 21:35 1999/07/31 +0930, erika wrote, in part:
>Hi all from Erika,
>Just to clarify .......I am not my bro.-in-law's caregiver. We live
>about 1 1/2 hours drive away from him. We are however in phone contact
>with him and we visit him occasionally. It helped me a lot, to hear
>that the paranoia is not a direct consequence of the disease, but
>rather of the medication...

i may be extra sensitive about this right now
but it seems to me that drug induced psychosis
***as manifested in behaviours and cognitive distortions***
is still psychosis
and has the same potential for danger

e.g.
if i suffered even a slight loss of touch with 'reality'
due to drug induced psychosis at just a 'minimal' level
i could potentially and 'unwittingly' cause harm to myself
by taking the wrong medications at the wrong time etc
and thus could get caught up in a really dangerous situation

brain chemicals are us

>I see my role as a supportive listener/friend. I hesitate to give him
>the impression that I wish to "meddle" or "mother" or involve myself,
>unbidden, in his treatment...

it's a conundrum to be sure

if i am temporarily colour blind
and you see that i am about to drive through a red light
is it 'meddling' to yell at me to stop?

if i am in the pit of clinical depression
where my thoughts are distorted completely negatively
how can anyone convince me that treatment for cd is possible?
and likely to be wildly successful?
that the situation that i see as totally and utterly hopeless
is not, in fact, at all?

the 'brain' and the 'mind' are a one-piece marvel of an interconnected
neuro-chemical-electro-synaptic-world-wide-web
all on its own in each one of us

when some of the hyperlinks are broken
we can't walk straight
and i need assistance
from those who can

when some of the hyperlinks are broken
we can't think straight
and i need assistance
from those who can

admitting to that need [in both cases] can be a real challenge
especially for those stubborn ornery independent cusses
among us

>It is however important to me, to gain as much factual knowledge
>about the condition as possible. It seems to me that Parkinsons
>is much misunderstood by those not directly involved. Fear can be
>the worst foe...

absolutely!
and
positively!

>Thank you so much for your time and effort in sharing your knowledge.
>I may be able to to pass on the information to those closer involved
>with his medication...

wonderful!
it's important that someone near him be aware of the potential risks

unfortunately we cannot rely on any or all medicos
to have the right answers
there is 'much misunderstanding' about pd in all quarters

>P.S. When I read the e-mails, I have this weird feeling, that
>this dreadful and frustrating condition called PD, is yet
>a generator of a great deal of patience, kindness and love.

i consider it 'a trial by fire'
learning the hard way is a good [the best?] teacher
and i consider this cyber family a miracle of its time

janet

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
snail-mail: PO Box 171  Almonte  Ontario  K0A 1A0  Canada
website: a new voice <http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/>
e-mail: <[log in to unmask]>