Charlie,

As much as I dislike drug companies I would like to set the record straight.  I
don't believe that drug companies do their own trials.  They pay for them but
trials are done by independent organizations like medical schools, research
foundations etc.  Some neurologists in private practice may be involved in the
study but the double blind nature of the study is kept by the sponsoring agency
which is usually a medical school.  I was in an entacapone study which was
multi-centered and through Rush in Chicago.  Multiple studies usually are done
which decreases chance of bias.

Adverse events are taken quite seriously and it is unlikely that a major side
effect could get through if its incidence is high enough. (but possible).  (Low
incidence side effects can always get through and the FDA monitors this
closely- hopefully)

You are correct that the bias of drug companies can be expressed and that
usually is not in the public's  best interest.  Like Lilly, going for an
indication to use Prozac for weight control with very questionable data.  The
FDA denied them.

Drug companies can be relatively ethical  or pretty slimy and the FDA over or
under cautious. I wanted to put out the facts as I see them and would
appreciate any comments or corrections.

Charlie

--

Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.