Joe's Story And NMS; Parting Shot
When reading Judith's story of her friend Joe's tragic end a few
months ago, I thought uh-oh!!! Sounds like neuroleptic malignant
syndrome (NMS) to me! Although it should be better known, NMS is
so seldom encountered that it might not be recognized as a dire
emergency. And all the recent comments from listmembers overlook
some VERY IMPORTANT points: First, NMS due to abrupt withdrawal
is NOT, repeat NOT restricted to antipsychotic drugs, but may
be due to withdrawal of other drugs, including antiparkinson
drugs such as tolcapone (Tasmar) and amantadine (Symmetrel).
Possible NMS is discussed in the WARNINGS or PRECAUTIONS section
of the Product Description for both those drugs in the good old,
fat old, boring old, Physician's Desk Reference (PDR), with a
particularly cogent description in the entry for amantadine.
Notwithstanding all the fascinating news about breakthroughs in
research, don't forget the basics! If you're taking ANY
prescription drug that isn't totally familiar, get hold of the
Product Description from the PDR or your pharmacist (don't be
put off with the bland "Patient Information" leaflet) and READ
IT!!!! Might Joe's death have been averted? I'm no doctor, and
I wasn't even there- don't ask me! Cheers,
Joe

--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road