Joe,

Unless there are the symptoms are there you can't make the diagnosis.  I
think that the only symptom may have been confusion and that likely occurred
prior to the lowering of meds. If he developed a high fever, severe muscular
rigididy (beyond the dystonia found in PD).  The masnagement was far from
ideal but I doubt that it was NMS.  If someone can show me an elevated CPK
(the normal I believe is in the range of the double digits and NMS patients
can run 50,000-100,000.

I am nitpicking but at the same time while I can't rule it out entirely you
can't make a diagnosis based on the fact that it sometimes happens when PD
drugs are withdrawn.  You have to have posititive symptoms.  No one is
suggesting ignoring the risk of NMS.

That does not mitigate the tragedy of his death one bit or excuse the MD's
for their poor  management of Joe.

Charlie

--

Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.