Hi--This was sent to me by a friend in UK
<<
 From the (UK) Daily Mail Tuesday July 27, 1999.

The woman who may hold the key to Parkinson’s

CATHERINE SMITH was horrified when she was diagnosed as having
Parkinson's Disease at the age of 27.

A first sign - some cramp in her foot a few years earlier had been
followed by a more sinister symptom: a slight tremor, which had led
almost inevitably to the diagnoses of the neurological condition.
For Catherine, an analytical chemist from Sheffield, the diagnosis
threatened to undermine everything she had always planned to do,
including having a child.

But 18 months later, despite worsening symptoms and against medical
advice, Catherine gave birth to a healthy son, Martin, now six.
Catherine is one of at least nine women in Britain who have given birth
after a diagnosis of Parkinson's disease.  New research shows that
pregnancy for such women is not only safe, it can ease the symptoms of
their condition, possibly because of the hormonal changes in the body
that are brought on by having a baby.
The unique research also shows that they are at no greater risk of
having complications in a pregnancy than fit, healthy women.  There also
appears to be a link between hormone levels and the severity of the
symptoms of the disease, which will affect all female Parkinson’s
sufferers.
Hormone levels change during pregnancy, but they can also be boosted
with HRT and that may ease the symptoms for many women.
Researchers have found that falling oestrogen levels immediately prior
to menstruation worsen the disease's symptoms.  In one in five women
surveyed by researcher Sheila Roy, the characteristic stiffness and
tremor symptoms became worse as menstruation approached.
But when the falling oestrogen levels were boosted via HRT treatment,
the early indications are that there was a positive effect on the
symptoms of Parkinson's.  The hope is that the findings will lead to
improvements in the care of women with the disease.
'The aim of the research is to explode of a lot of the negative myths
about the disease and show women that a full life, including having
children, is available after a diagnosis,' says Sheila Roy, who
presented the findings to an international medical conference in Poland.
The conference was told that doctors should have another look at the way
they treat and assess sufferers and try to meet their needs, including
giving more informed advice on pregnancy.

PARKINSON'S disease is a neurological condition in which control of
movement is lost to produce symptoms that can include shaking, muscle
rigidity, balance problems and slowness of movement.
There are a number of associated emotional problems, including
depression.  It is generally thought of as being solely an old age
disease, yet World Health Organisation figures show one in ten adults is
in the 40s or younger when diagnosed.
In her research, Sheila Roy, who chairs a Parkinson's Disease Society
advisory group,
found little work had been carried out on women of child-bearing age
with the disease.
'There is a lot of anecdotal evidence about younger women with
Parkinson’s, but very little has been written,' she says.
‘Only 36 pregnancies have been reported in the world, yet the study I am
doing has already identified nine women who have given birth after the
start of the symptoms.
WITH so little i    nformation, doctors and nurses can't be blamed for
being less than supportive of
women wanting to plan a pregnancy. Yet,  from the research I've done,
the balance should be in favour of encouraging women with early
Parkinson's who want a child to go-ahead.'
Her research involves looking at 3,000 women in the UK with the disease,
to assess the impact of female hormones on Parkinson’s.
One in eight of the women in the project is under 40.  Nine of the women
have given birth, and all had healthy babies.
The conference was told that those women believe other sufferers should
be encouraged, rather than discouraged from having a baby.
'While the pregnancies among the group were not without their problems,
all resulted in health babies,' says Sheila Roy.
Catherine Smith was married but had no children when she was diagnosed
with Parkinson’s.
'In my early 20s I would get cramp in my foot, which is an early sign of
Parkinson’s,' she says.
'Then I got a slight tremor when I was 26 and then, at 27, the
diagnosis. which horrified me. After a few months of treatment, I
suggested to the doctors that we would like to have a baby.  But they
were very cautious, saying we should delay and delay.  'But I was
worried that the number of drugs I was taking would get bigger as the
years went by and that they might have an effect on a pregnancy.  So we
decided to go ahead. 1 remember the haematologist was very surprised
when he saw me so obviously pregnant.
'Everything went very smoothly with the delivery.  The birth took a long
time but that was because Martin didn't want to come out rather than
anything to do with my condition.  He is a normal, healthy boy who has
started school.
'I take each day as it comes, but he shows that there really is life
after a diagnosis of Parkinson's.'

Barbara Blake-Krebs