James B. Fitzmaurice wrote:

> For an edition of Newcastle's "The Variety" (performed at the Blackfriars
> ca 1640, and printed in Holland 1649), I am trying to track down an
> Elizabethan dancer who went by the nickname of Lord Loftie or whose actual
> name is a variant of Loftie.  DNB does not help nor do contemporary books
> on dancing.  I would appreciate learning about any specialized books on the
> history of dance that list members might know and that could be useful.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jim Fitzmaurice
> Northern Arizona University

I'm not sure about the "Lord" part, but this could refer to Thomas
Loveday, an actor whose name was sometimes spelled "Loffday".  He
was active from at least 1634, through the Interregnum, and into
the Restoration.  See my "Biographical Index of Elizabethan Theater",
online at http://www.clark.net/pub/tross/ws/bd/kathman.htm.

Dave Kathman