Forgive the cross-posting

Dear Listmembers,

I'm forwarding the following announcement on behalf of Allen
Frantzen, Loyola-Chicago.  I might add that the IMA is usually a
small but stimulating meeting, and the 2000 conference looks
wonderful.  Hope to see you there.

Dan Kline
U of Alaska Anchorage

of
the University of Chicago and the Medieval Studies Committee of
Loyola
University Chicago. The Program Committee includes Michael I.
Allen,
Allen J. Frantzen, Rachel Fulton, Lucy Pick, and Barbara H.
Rosenwein.

Papers on the history of any and all disciplines in medieval
studies,
including papers exploring the uses of the past,
medieval-to-modern
connections and juxtapositions, and past or present ways of
constructing medieval studies from disciplinary or
multi-disciplinary perspectives, are invited. Papers addressing
relations between Christians and Jews in the Middle Ages are
especially welcome.

Keynote speaker: Walter Goffart (Toronto), "The West Falls, the
East Survives: Reconsiderations about the End of Late Antiquity"

Plenary session speakers: John Dagenais (Berkeley), "'Medieval'
Manuscripts: Crafting the Literary Artifact"; Mayke de Jong
(Utrecht), "Hrabanus Maurus and the Uses of Biblical Historia"';
Margot Fassler (Yale), "History, Liturgy, and Politics at
Chartres around 1000: Bishop Fulbert's Sermons 'Contra Judeos'";
Karl F. Morrison (Rutgers), "History Configured to the 'manifesta
ratio veritatis':  belard and Pope John-Paul II"; Nancy Partner
(McGill), "The Pursuit of Truth
and Fiction: Medieval and Modern Modes"; Linda Seidel, "Stone
Archives and
the Crafting of (Art) History"

The keynote session and one plenary session will be held at the
Divinity School, University of Chicago on Friday afternoon,
February 18, 2000; two plenary sessions and all general sessions
will be held at Loyola University Chicago, Water Tower Campus, 25
E. Pearson St., on Saturday, February 19, 2000.

For a tentative schedule of keynote and plenary sessions, go to
http://www.anglo-saxon.net/ima.html. Proceedings of the Illinois
Medieval Association are published annually at
http://www.luc.edu/publications/medieval (Essays in Medieval
Studies). Volumes 8-15 (1992-99) are currently available
online.