Dear Ms. Hartman,

First of all, thank you for contacting your Senators and Representative
regarding Parkinson's research funding.  Secondly, thank you for
forwarding
Congressman Packard's response.  If it's not too much trouble, we
always like to have hard copies of the letters for our files.  Our
mailing address is at the end of this message.

Every contact with a member of Congress is an opportunity for
additional contact in order to build a relationship with that Member
and/or their staff -- which should always be one of our goals as
advocates.  So I would strongly urge you to write a follow-up letter
thanking him for his response, and especially for his past support of
Pd-related initiatives.  In your letter you can also help educate him
and his staff by correcting any inaccurate or out-of-date information
he included in his letter.

For instance, he states the total costs of Pd as $7 billion annually.
There are two very credible sources (Dr. Ole Isacson of Harvard Univ.
and a recent cost analysis by the Parkinson's Disease Foundation) which
put the figure at $25 billion per year.  I think it's worth pointing
out to Packard -- a fiscally conservative Republican -- the true fiscal
costs of Pd.

Packard's letter mentioned the funding authorized by the Udall Act, but
you should remind him that that money has yet to be appropriated.  As a
member of the House Appropriations Committee Packard is in a position
to influence the level of Pd research funded through the NIH, and you
should again ask him to do so.  I would hope that the prospect of
investing $100 million per year in research in order to save $25
billion per year would appeal to him.  One concrete thing he can do is
write a letter -- or simply speak -- to Rep.
John Porter, Chairman of the House Labor/HHS Appropriations
Subcommittee.  Packard undoubtedly knows Porter well, as they have sure
worked together for
many years on the Appropriations Committee.  He can mention to Porter
how important Pd research funding is to him, and how he'd really like
to see the mandate of the Udall Act fulfilled by designating specific
increases in Parkinson's research.  (We have more detailed information
about the exact increases we'd like to see, and I would be happy to
provide that to you.)

His last paragraph is pretty boilerplate stuff: "Please be assured that
I will keep your views in mind during this year's budget negotiations."
 The truth is it's really up to us -- and to you -- to ensure that he
does keep our views in mind.  How?  By persistent contact, building a
relationship, and always advancing the level of discussion.  By that I
mean you need to build on previous contacts, get into more detailed
information about Parkinson's disease and our research and legislative
goals, and always ask him to raise his level of commitment to helping
our cause.  It's hard work, but it's very important and can have a big
impact -- and we are here to help you, so please don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you again for contacting your legislators and advising us of
their responses (or lack of responses).  We look forward to working
with you.

Sincerely,

Michael Claeys
Policy Coordinator