> ----------

No where did I even allude to this being a public forum.

> for example
> no-one can obtain a list of members and their addresses
> except the owners

But anyone can make up a partial list just from the posters.

> someone who feels vulnerable and in pain
> and who comes here for support and solace at our open door invitation
> deserves a bit more assurance of privacy from the outside world
> don't you think?

I've been rethinking my stance a little in this area. I can best illustrate
it with an example. Our oldest son was as hard headed as a rock. There was
very little we could do to change his mind if he had it set on something.
Kinda like you, Janet (ducking!).

Our two years younger number two son wore his feelings on his sleeve and
could easily be brought to tears for what most of us would consider an
insignificant reason, especially by his hard headed older brother. (Like a
few on the list who jump at suspecting they are being attacked when we are
only disagreeing with them.)

Number three son (four years younger than number two - the blessed result of
a camping trip) took on the best qualities of his older brothers and found a
very good balance. He was our super kid. Like most people on the list.

All three have grown into fine young men with happy marriages, good careers,
and adjusted lives. They still and will always exhibit these basic
personality characteristics, however.

> >I disagree that if I feel I have been attacked, then I have been
> >attacked. That assumes that I will always interpret the words in
> >the way intended, and all of you know that there are misunderstandings
> >and the same statement can mean one thing to one person and another
> >to another...
>
> i know, and i appreciate that
>
> there is definitely a feminist slant to my view on this subject
> based on rape and sexual harrassment issues
>
> in a situation like this
> i would hope that the 'three strikes' concept
> would narrow the field considerably, no?
> viz:
> if you write to me "whatever"
> and i write back and say stop it
> and you write to me again
> and i write back to you and say stop it again
> and you write to me again...
>
> at that point
> could we not agree that the sender is committing an offense
> regardless of the content of the "whatever" message?

Yes, but my slant is not to respond with a "Stop it!" in the first place. In
most all instances that will be the last you will hear of the matter. People
usually won't let up when they know where your goat is tied. They know right
where to go to get it.