On 08/06/99 Jackie wrote:

>In the two months since my husband was diagnosed he has gone from 2 Sinemet
>(25/100) to 6 per day.  He developed dyskinesia and his doctor prescribed
>Backofen 10mg three times per day to counteract the dyskinesia.  I questioned
>him about the 6 being too much and was that causing the dyskinesia and he said
>No, the dyskinesia just means that the drug (Sinemet) is working.

Be very careful with Baclofen. Our neuro prescribed a minimum amount of this
muscle relaxer for my husband when he was having severe cramping a couple of
years ago. He took the first pill at bedtime and the result was a terrible
episode of hallucinations involving tearing up the kitchen and eating some
strange things, including a half pound of margarine. All the next morning he
was as limp as a rag doll and acted like a foolish drunk. At noon he choked
on his lunch and I had to call an ambulance. That was the last Baclofen he
took.

Part of the problem with the medications PWP's take is the relation between
the individual's body weight (mainly expressed as muscle mass) and the
size of dose that can be tolerated. My husband now weighs around 125.often
a full dose of a powerful medication is too much and unpleasant things
happen. It is vital in pediatric medicine to keep body weight in mind in
prescribing meds but I think standard pill sizes are designed for that rare
beast, the average size person. A half a minimum dose is all Neal can
tolerate for some meds.

Too much Sinemet and Neal begins to flail and windmill about and has severe
pain. Your doctor obviously has had little experience with PD and I hope you
dump him fast. We are constantly having to adjust meds. Needs change from day
to day and even hour to hour sometimes. Lots of things make this necessary.
These include stress of any kind, the motility of the G-I tract, constipation,
the composition and timing of meals, and the degree of depression that
accompanies PD. Fortunately, I have the blessing of Neal's neuro to make the
little adjustments that are needed, when the need arises.

Good luck in your search for a new doctor.

Martha Rohrer, CG for Neal, 79/14