On Sun 01 Aug, judith richards wrote:
> Brian Collins wrote:
> >It seems to me that almost everyone is missing the point about this
> >non-event. I will try again to convey the points which are really
> >irritating me.
> >
> >1/ SmithKline Beecham have made NO major breakthrough.
> >2  SmithKline Beecham have simply re-stated what we have all known for
> the
> >   past 5 years: that the Dopamine Agonists from Permax on are capable
> of
> >   acting like dopamine to the nervous system, without increasing the
> >   risk of dyskinesia.
>
> Brian,
>     Just so you don't lose any sleep over this...
>     I wasn't 'fooled.' When the report first came out, I commented to Al
> that this wasn't new, so what's the big deal? I suspect many of us who
> have been on the PD trail for a while also were not fooled.
>
> >3/ I admit to a grudging respect at SKB's nerve at wrapping the package
> >    so that it fools  (apparently) just about everyone at the
> conference.
>
>     We don't know that anybody at the conference was fooled either. The
> reporters who covered the conference might have been impressed because
> they are probably not knowledgable about Parkinson drugs.
>     I recently heard a local TV commentator say, "A press release is one
> opinion of a multi-sided issue." As always, we have to take everything
> we read with a grain of salt.
>     Rest easy my friend...
>    Judith
> --
> Judith Richards, London, Ontario, Canada

I did pick up your early note of caution Judith, and likewise your
reservations Simon.- I was beginning to worry about maybe missing some
subtle point, and your comments gave me 'warm feeling' just when I
needed it.

  Which reminds me of a joke (Eat your heart out ,Ken) : We used to have
  a saying at Rolls-Royce; that doing a good for R-R was like wearing a
  dark suit and peeing in your pants :- It gives you a warm feeling, but
  nobody really notices!

  By the way Simon, I phoned Head Office last Tuesday- spoke to Alison
Lord (I think) and got the impression that there had been some sort
of press  conference that day,but that was about all she could tell me.
  In the BBC news story which I heard, there was a comment to the effect
that the PDS Chief Executive had hailed it as a major break-through!!
Keep up the good work!

Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>