I haven't posted here for a while, being a shy person, but realized today
that anything I wanted to say from my experience would be as relevant as
some other stuff that has been appearing on PIEnet.  So here goes. If we
are, as Janet Paterson has said, a cyber-family (a view I don't subscribe
to), we have the dysfunctional qualities as well as the enduring, nurturing
characteristics. Look at how we can drive each other nuts! And in the next
breath be there to support and encourage, then again to yell and rant. We
aren't a family so much as a consciousness with murmurings, occasional
coherent thoughts, lots of tangents, dreams, and nightmares. Our ideas
float around, interesting, provocative, insightful, or boring and
redundant. BarbM populates her messages with stage directions to add relief
to the text.  But no matter how many parentheses we type, it's not a hug.
And I've never met ANY of the other people on the list, which torpedoes the
family metaphor for me. We are, after all, still incarnated in bodies. The
bodies, and their decline, is what brings this particular group together.
But even though I don't think we're a family, I value the list in a weird
way that I can't really put my finger on. Maybe it's just that it's there
if I need it that is reassuring, and that other people are out there
struggling with the same issues that face me and my family.

Rick Hermann
Bellingham, Washington, one of the less hot places in the U.S.