Bonnie, et al....

By the time I'd I got my Medicare benefits I'd asked everyone I
knew who had Medicare about their medical care (just as you're
doing now in asking me) and the word I heard the most was
"Kaiser."

I called Kaiser's Member Services and asked 'em if they worked
with Medicare.  I not only got a "Yes," but a promise to send me
out their Medicare information packet, which arrived the next day.

I also called Blue Cross and a coupla-three other HMOs and found
that one of them had an AGENT  who came to your HOME to do a
presentation and sign you up right there, on-the-spot .  I
declined to permit their agent into my home and asked that they
send me their info packets which I eventually received.

I suggest you or your parents call local HMOs and/or other medical
services
in your parents part of the country for information about the
benefits they'd receive if they  become one of their members.

I would ALSO go to SEE their medical offices AND any hospital or
other ancillary, I.e., labs, physical therapy, etc..  facilities
they have in order to make sure they're up to date in providing
you with the variety of equipment.  I'd also wander around the
facility and talk to any of their staff members I could corner to
find out what THEY thought of the service.  THAT played a huge
part in my decision to go with Kaiser (and I feel that those
Kaiser staff members I spoke with we very honest with me)

ASIDE:  I've had a positive relationship with Kaiser for 4 1/2
years and think they have one of the most superb attitudes in
dealing with the their members I've ever seen.   They *ACT* like
they REALLY care about you as an individual.   I can't say for
sure that they DO care, but I classify the Kaiser Member Services
ATTITUDE as ALWAYS being warm and empathetic.  They FEEL like
their on YOUR side, even if they only have KAISER'S best  interest
at heart.

Even if you chose NOT to go with Kaiser, you SHOULD have become
familiar with the service you join BEFORE joining.  That makes a
heckuva difference in your comfort level when you DO join.

Errrrr... I'm not an employee of Kaiser, and receive no
remuneration from them for saying what I've said 'bout 'em.

Barb Mallut