I have subscribed for two years, rarely post, delete most nonpd messages
unread and glean good information from a few.  I am a school teacher and
believe I can relevantly relate this situation to the classroom.  Some
humor now and again is welcome in the classroom.  Comic relief has its
place.  It adds a warmth, a charm, and helps build the classroom as a
community.  However, there is a time and a place and if the humor or
silliness begins to dominate, the important things don't get done.
Also, if certain individuals dominate, it becomes uncomfortable and even
unpleasant for the rest of the class.  It is like they are taking over
and overriding the purpose of the class for their own agenda.  As a
teacher, I have ways to regulate this behavior and manage the class.
For the list, it seems to me that adults should be able to recognize
when they have crossed the line and pull back.  In the classroom, I try
to guide the student behavior so that self esteem is preserved and the
students learn what is appropriate.  Since there is no teacher here, I
would hope that members who post will self-evaluate and fit into the
listserv in an appropriate way while still maintaining self esteem.

Genene Hill