judith richards wrote:
>Tom Riess  wrote:
Does CLOSING YOUR EYES HAVE ANY EFFECT ON YOUR DYSKINESIA?

>WOW! - It stops...
>Judith

Judith, Tom,

If this is serious, Judith congratulsations!!!!
I had to have a pallidotomy to let it only stop in the left half of my body
  and even that is for me miraculous.
Tom, I suppose that your question is about what is dyskinesia in
neurophysiological terms. I wish I had an answer. But I have an answer on
your other question: closing my eyes may, if it is only light dyskinesia,
help a bit, as is reducing other stimuli, be it external: hearing, seeing
or internal thinking, feeling (pain). All aktivation or arousing things are
making my dyskinesia worse. As for weareing off dyskinesia, listening to
music may help as may being passively moved for example being in a, by
someone else driven, car. When the dyskinesia is of the other (top of meds)
type it may be helpfull to keep willfully moving.

Searching the litterature to find answers I used to think that  not even a
startingpoint for those answers could be found. Now I can't find them
either but it is my impression that a start of it has been made, but that I
can't fully understand it because I lack the necessary neurophysiological
know-how.
As far as I think I do understand it, it is something like there is to much
aktivating ( GABA ergic) stimulation from the striatum to the motor cortex
and the basal gangia are not able to do their job in the central
integration of incoming stimuli with intended action. In my experience this
holds especially for wearing-of dykinesia which is  made worse by trying to
stop or to regulate one's movements. While in top of meds dyskinesia trying
to substitute erratic movements for controlled ones may be succesfull.
Just a thought: Isn't it possible that someone who is neurophysiology-wise
gives an on line course for interested group members?
                                             Ida

Vriendelijke Groeten / Kind regards,

Ida Kamphuis                            mailto: [log in to unmask]