hi all

At 08:14 1999/08/08 EDT, clare wrote:
>In a message dated 8/8/99 1:50:18 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
>>[log in to unmask] writes:
>>[there were a lot of pubmed PMID abstracts - ain't it grand?]
>>reflects **only** my little portion of
>>**only** one month in terms of pienet activity:
>
>Janet, that's a large index.  Please tell me how one becomes
>an "abstract" and designated as PMID and others have a "re"
>line. Thanks. Clare Wilson

items designated PMID [= PubMed IDentification number]
are available at the PubMed web site [see my website for the link]

PubMed, via the [USA] National Library of Medicine [NLM],
provides free wwweb access to over 9 million articles
published in recognized peer reviewed medical journals world wide

[this service was formerly only available at a price at MEDLINE
and was intended specifically for medicos]

sometimes the article is referenced only
[in other words, credits only, no content]
in the medical journal
[which are sometimes individually available on-line,
but they mostly not for free}

in most cases in pubmed
the article is summarized in a form called an abstract
[you still need to go to the journal source to read the entire article]

i have been a happy hunter and digger in pubmed
since it was officially introduced on the wwweb
by usa vice-president al gore a few years ago
[thank you, usa government = usa citizens and listmembers!]

i post the ones that i think are relevant [to pd or otherwise to us]
for two reasons:
1. to share the info / news with list-members
[and thus by extension potentially with their support groups and/or medicos]
and
2. to get the pmid abstracts into our list archives for a
future hunter/digger's "aha!"

the items marked "RE:" are messages i posted 'in Reply to' another message
thus, items with no "RE:" are messages / subjects which originated with me

the "RE:" designation is used by e-mail software
for following the sequence or 'thread' of a cyber-conversation
[as  >are  >>these  >>>marks]

gosh, ask me a simple question...

janet

ps re subject header 'designations':
i just invented the "MOM:" designation to indicate "list business"
others in use are:
NEWS: for news items
NON PD: or NPD: for non-parkinson's subjects
QT: for Quotations
...etc per your imagination

these designations stand out nicely
since cyber words written in all capital letters
are considered "shouted"

any guidance of any kind
as to subject matter in a posted message
is a great help here!

jp

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
snail-mail: PO Box 171  Almonte  Ontario  K0A 1A0  Canada
website: a new voice <http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/>
e-mail: <[log in to unmask]>