Clare asked: >Thanks for this info, Bob, and I hope she doesn't need to be >hospitalized again. I have written for that hospital form for >medication/dosage and never received it. Now I can't remember >where to write for it. Anyone have a clue? >Clare Wilson See below for 2 possibilities-- ******** Willamette-Columbia Parkinsonian Society of Oregon (Will Cope) now has "A guide to caring for the Parkinson's patient" (FREE) to take with you wnen you go to the hospital. It describes the disease, characteristics of the disease, complicating factors, advice to speak with nutrition consultant, neuro advisory and a place for medication schedule. Also a Demerol alert for those on Elderpry. Please give Will-Cope a call at . 1-800-485-7384.. ********** ALSO: Geneva WHEN A PARKINSONIAN IS HOSPITALIZED By Beverly Steward (from Central Ohio Parkinson Society newsletter,9-93, adapted) When a parkinsonian is admitted to the hospital it is very important to explain to the nurses some significant facts about PD...to make the hospital stay as satisfactory as possible for both patient and staff. Below is a list of some common problems PD patients have. Check those which are your particular problems. Make sure you put your name at the top...and hospital room number if you know it. Ask to have this sheet put in your file at your nurses' station, to make things easier for you and for the nursing staff. Consider having a close family member get a limited power of attorney to represent you, and if you have a Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care be sure the hospital and doctor have copies. *************************** My full name is________________________________Room_____ Bed_______ AS A PARKINSONIAN I HAVE PROBLEMS WITH ITEMS CHECKED BELOW: Medication 1. Need Parkinson medication administered EXACTLY on schedule 2. Without medicine will become rigid and disoriented 3. Response to medication may affect physical therapy timing Ambulation 4. Have difficulty with balance 5. Freeze and fall. Require help getting motion started and walking Elimination (check and underline specifics) 6. Have urinary problems: either hesitancy, frequency, inability to wait, or incontinence 7. Suffer from constipation, need special diet or other treatment. Impaction is a significant danger Coordination 8. Cannot open food or other containers easily 9. Cannot always repeat a former action 10. May not have strength to push call button 11. Have slow responses 12. Have trouble turning in bed Communication 13. Have low voice volume 14. Have difficulty enunciating 15. Face shows little or no emotion ("mask of Parkinsons") Eating & Swallowing 16. Choke on food and need special diet 17. Very slow eater Sleeping 18. Trouble getting to sleep 19. Sleep fitfully 20. Have anxiety sweats Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 81/70/55 Oxford, Ohio http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/camilla/one.htm <<[log in to unmask]> "Ask me about the CARE list for Caregivers of Parkinsonians ! "