At 18:20 11-8-99 -0400, janet paterson wrote:
I did hear recently from some of the formerly active listmembers
>who left due to those personal and private attacks
>and they still express fear of exposing
>themselves to more attacks
>by posting to the list
>
>they feel this vulnerabiliity even when david is not a listmember
>how would you 'support' such a list-member?

Janet

Is this a real problem of that formerly active listmember, you mention?
Would she be eager, to be active again without that terrible threat? If she
is really vulnerable to such an extent, I suppose that that has a much
broader inhibiting influence in her life.
People with so much vulnerability should be protected in the first place,
but if she was my friend I, being a professional psychotherapist, would
advice her
to go to one of my collegues and get some treatment, because I think being
thin-skinned to such an extent is a problem that mostly can be treated with
some success. It is my experience that thin-skinned people often interpret
such an advice as if it means it is all their fault, which is not. One
can't protect people with psychotherapy against agression which is
expressed by bullits. But to help people to protect themselves against
agression (real or misinterpreted as such) expressed by words, send to
one's computer, seems not to be impossible at all.

Ida

Vriendelijke Groeten / Kind regards,

Ida Kamphuis                            mailto: [log in to unmask]