Dear Ann,

Don't you worry about that cookie!  You may be better off having lost it!

A cookie is really a snoop.  When you surf the Web, some sites, or even
advertisers on the site, leave a hidden message in your computer.  They
call them cookies.  Everytime you return to the same site, or one where the
same advertising firm is advertising (Doubleclick, for instance), the
cookie in your computer is debriefed about where you've been on the Net
since it was last contacted.  The cookie is collecting information about
how you use the Internet.  It's a spy!

I regularly delete the cookies on my hard drive.  I know they're not really
harmful, and I don't have much to hide, but the principle!  Using Windows
'95/'98, I open Windows Explorer, then click on Windows, then Temporary
Internet Files.  I do Edit, Select All, and Delete.  There will be warning
windows that come up saying "XXX is a Cookie.  Are you sure you want to
delete it?"  and I say YES!

Anyway, don't worry about it.  If you use the Web, you'll have plenty more
cookies on your computer soon.

Jane