Listfriends-- last week someone asked if Entacapone had been approved yet
by the FDA. I posed this question to the " Ask An Expert "  section of the
NetWellness website, where PD queries are answered by Peter's neuro,
Dr.Dalvi.:  Here is the question, and his answer:

Question.
 I read that a new drug, Entacapone, has now been approved
 by FDA. What would be the advantage over the present PD
 drugs? Can it be taken with Sinemet in later stages of PD?

Answer:

 I have not yet received official word regarding its
 availability in pharmacies. Entacapone like
 Tasmar(tolcapone)inhibits the COMT enzyme increasing the
 duration of activity of Sinemet. Unlike tasmar it is not yet
 associated with the risk of liver failure, but long term
 response remains to be determined. Unlike dopamine
 agonists, it cannot be taken by itself, only as an adjunct to
 Sinemet.

 Arif Dalvi, M.D.
 Assistant Professor
 Department of Neurology
 College of Medicine
 University of Cincinnati PDlist

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 81/70/55
Oxford, Ohio

                        "Ask me about the CARE list for
                        Caregivers of Parkinsonians ! "