hi all

i have been posting regularly here for four years
'spilling my guts' and generally telling all
with no qualms
or hardly any
or at least
after always thinking long and hard about it
in the hope that someone else might relate and might benefit
from shared experiences/emotions

and here i go again
particularly in light of david's recent attention to the list

who we are now this moment
who i am at this moment
is where we have been
is where i have been
a semi-organized accumulation of experience and learning
ditto

a list member who posts infrequently
wrote to me privately a few weeks ago
after a particularly silly few postings of mine
with a few silly comments of his own

we started quite a little cyber-banter thread
totally delightful and unexpected to me
sucked in by all the attention and flattery

after an exchange of over 60 messages over a few days,
in my pea-brain, friendship was developing into something more
but then reality as is its wont
crawled out from under its rock

why did you start writing to me on that particular day?
i don't know
i've been visiting your site
i've been reading your posts for years
i'd felt it building up for months

my ears perk up

further conversation
a 'curriculum vitae'
including a marriage of over 20 years
apparently still current

my spine snaps to attention

tell me about it
that's a tough call
she's a wonderful caring woman
silence
change subject

the lights flicker on

so
why are you writing to me
what is your purpose
to find out all about you why you think the way you do
would you have written to me in the way you did if i were male
silence
would you share our banter and fun with your wife
silence
what is your purpose
i like to get to know people
why not just enjoy the attention

the lights are blazing now

i asked how many others he had approached this way
i recommended that he see a psychiatrist or his neuro
i suggested that his pd or his meds were affecting his cognitions
silence
denial

suddenly we don't see eye to eye on anything
and had best end this cyber-conversation

and there it sits

janet

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
snail-mail: PO Box 171  Almonte  Ontario  K0A 1A0  Canada
website: a new voice <http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/>
e-mail: <[log in to unmask]>