News cannot get much better than the following report which appeared in
the Globe and Mail newspaper on Friday August 6 1999.

GO-AHEAD, EAT THAT CHOCOLATE: DOCTORS NOW SAY IT'S GOOD FOR YOU

Reuters News Agency, London

Feeling guilty about that chocolate snack?  Well, don't.  Researchers
have finally confirmed what the industry has said for years: chocolate
is a good source of the kind of antioxidants found in tea.

A studied by Dutch doctors analyzed chocolate to quantify the amount of
catechins, from the family of flavonoids.

Flavonoids are among the most powerful antioxidants, compounds that
protect against chemicals in the body, called free radicals, that damage
cells.

Some scientists have said that because of the flavonoids in tea,
drinking one or more cups a day can reduce the risk of having a heart
attack.

"Drinking a cup of tea and eating a chocolate cookie might be not only
enjoyable, but healthy as well," the doctors wrote in the medical
journal The Lancet, published today.

The study was carried out by doctors from the Department of Chronic
Diseases and Epidemiology at the National Institute of Public Health and
Environment in Bilthoven with the support of the European Union
Commission.

"The antioxidant content of chocolate is four times that of tea," they
wrote.

They found that chocolate contributed 20 percent of the catechin intake
in a sample of the Dutch population while tea contributed 55 percent.

And for real chocolate connoisseurs, the researchers looked into which
chocolate was better: dark or milk chocolate.

Dark chocolate had the highest catechin content, milk chocolate had
less, but both had more than black tea, they said.

To which I say, "What? Only one cookie?" Now, all we need is Kathrynne's
blessing. Happy eating!

Roger Buxton  CG for Judy Hazlett (49 / 29 dx)

P.S. My apologies in case anyone else submitted this, but I was cut off
from PIENET over the past weekend.