Guilford and Amgen Announce Start of Neuroimmunophilin Clinical Trials
08/04  05:49

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 4, 1999--Guilford
Pharmaceuticals Inc. (Nasdaq: GLFD) and Amgen (Nasdaq: AMGN) Wednesday
announced that the companies have initiated the first clinical testing of a
class of compounds known as neuroimmunophilins.

The initial study is a phase 1 safety, tolerability and pharmacokinetic
study in healthy subjects and is being conducted in Europe. The initial
disease target is Parkinson's disease.

"We have reached an important milestone in the development of the
neuroimmunophilins. We will undoubtedly learn a great deal about
neuroimmunophilins over the next few months, and, assuming a successful
outcome of the phase 1 clinical program, we look forward to the first
clinical trials in patients with Parkinson's disease," said Dr. Craig R.
Smith, president and chief executive officer of Guilford.

In 1997, Amgen licensed from Guilford worldwide rights for the
neuroimmunophilins, a novel class of small molecule neurotrophic agents that
may represent a new approach in the treatment of neurodegenerative
disorders. In preclinical studies, including models of Parkinson's disease,
neuroimmunophilins demonstrated potential to promote nerve regeneration and
repair.

"We are pleased to be able to advance Amgen's second small molecule product
candidate into clinical testing," said Gordon Binder, Amgen's chairman and
chief executive officer. "This represents our growing commitment to the
field of small molecule drug development. More importantly, it is a further
effort to advance the needed treatment of patients suffering from
Parkinson's disease."

Amgen is a global biotechnology company that discovers, develops,
manufactures and markets cost-effective human therapeutics based on advances
in cellular and molecular biology.

Guilford Pharmaceuticals is a biopharmaceutical company engaged in the
development of polymer-based therapeutics for cancer, and novel products for
the diagnosis and treatment of neurological diseases, including Parkinson's
disease, Alzheimer's disease, stroke, severe head trauma, spinal cord
injuries, multiple sclerosis and peripheral neuropathies.

EDITOR'S NOTE: An electronic version of this news release may be accessed
via Amgen's Web site at www.Amgen.com. Visit the Corporate Center and click
on Amgen News. Journalists and media representatives may sign up to receive
all news releases electronically at time of announcement by filling out a
short form in the Amgen News section of the Web site.

AltaVista.com| About AltaVista |Help| Feedback| Advertising Info | Add a
Page
Disclaimer | Privacy | Copyright | International | Set your Preferences

Content Integrated at TIBCO.net using TIB/ActiveEnterprise Software.

Copyright 1999 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or
redistribution of Reuters content,
including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the
prior written consent of Reuters.
Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for
any actions taken in reliance thereon.