I posted the item below to the list a year or so ago. The recent 'Hospitals'
thread brought it to mind.  Whilst I am aware of and fully support the need
to increase the PD awareness of hospital staff I am reposting this as a
reminder of just how lucky we are in "the West" in comparison to some parts
of the 3rd world.

Dennis

I recently saw a documentary on the Central Hospital in Conakry, the capital
city of the west African nation of Guinea. The hospital was described as
being the main medical centre of both the city and the nation. Poverty (an
average annual income of US$510) has resulted in a horrifying situation.
Families provide not only the nursing service but also have to provide the
drugs, in the sense that once the doctors have written the prescription,
they must be collected, and paid for, from the hospital pharmacy by family
members or friends who then hand them over to the medically trained staff to
administer.

No family member or friend to collect and pay for the drugs - no drugs are
given.

No money to pay for the drugs up front - no drugs are given.

If, as apparently often happens, the hospital pharmacy is unable to fill the
prescription, the family member or friend has to try and get it filled by an
external, private pharmacy.

In one instance a man brought to the ER with meningitis, died after 8 hrs of
being unattended other than being diagnosed. He died because he had no
family or friend to help him and because the ER had only 2 overworked
doctors on duty, no nursing staff, and no drugs other than those purchased
for other patients. The ER itself is located in a separate building to the
main hospital and is the only part of the complex that a patient can enter
without paying in advance.

The Intensive care unit comprises a ward equipped only with beds. One nurse
attends 8 patients. The mortality rate is 70%.

What staff the hospital has are well qualified and as dedicated as anywhere
else in the world. They know the limitations of their system and do what
they can to minimise its deficiencies.

None of this invalidates the love and caring of the family members who,
often at great sacrifice to themselves, try to fill the gaps. But it is an
indictment on us all that their sacrifice is necessary.

I was left with a profound sense of shame. I live in a country with one of
the finest medical services in the world. We have an oversupply of doctors,
free hospitalisation in world class hospitals equipped with everything money
can buy and staffed by highly trained professionals. Yet we want more. We
complain if we have to wait 30 mins past our appointment time, we object at
length if we have to wait for surgery, we protest at delays in getting the
latest 'wonder drug'.

Perhaps we need to rethink our priorities

We don't know when we're lucky

Dennis Greene 49/dx 37/ onset 32
There's nothing wrong with me that a cure for PD won't fix!
http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/