The following is a letter received from Medtronic after a few months of
waiting I got the following reply:

The friend referred to is Jane Ross.  Fortunately she has received
approval from her insurance company  I had heard the FDA approval might
come this summer but it has been pushed back until early 2000.

August 10, 1999

       Charles Meyer, M.D.
       3315 Prairie Glade Road
       Middleton, WI 53562-1775

       Dear Dr. Meyer,

       Thank you for your letter from May 30 to Bill George regarding
the Activa therapy for
       Parkinson's Disease. You had a request for information regarding
the status of FDA approval of
       STN stimulation. We are hoping to have the submission approved by
early in the year 2000.
       This, of course, is not guaranteed as we have quite a bit of the
process yet to go through.

       As for your friend involved in the study at the University of
Oregon Health Sciences, she will
       have to negotiate with them and her insurer regarding the device.
We have arrangements with
       OHSU to work with them on payers issues. We do not have an option
to have a reduced
       replacement price for devices. However, we have bad some success
working through the
       Hospital to get to the payers.

       I'm so pleased that your Activa Parkinson's Control Therapy (STN
stimulation) is working well
       for you. I wish you the best in your continued years with your
Medtronic implant.

       Sincerely,

       Noreen Thompson
       Director, Neurostimulation Movement Disorders

       NT/dpp

       cc: John Meslow

--

Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.