Erika -

My husband spent about a year and a half after going on disability before
coming up with a hobby he might enjoy.  He decided he wanted to get into
model railroading, and now happily spends several hours a day on it.  I've
ended up working with him on the hobby, and we now have quite a nice layout.

A bonus to the hobby is that we joined a model railroad club (where I am
currently the only woman), and have found there's room for everyone in this
hobby.  There are any number of members willing to come over and help if
there's something too complicated for Dick to do, and something I'm unwilling
to tackle, like sophisticated wiring.  There are also things we've learned to
do well, and in turn we can help other club members.

I might add that Dick's hobbies prior to the advancement of his PD were all
physical - sports and yard work.  He continues to play golf 17 years after
diagnosis, although no doubt he was helped in that by bilateral pallidal
stimulations 3-1/2 years ago.  The one change there is that he's more likely
to take a golf cart than to walk the course.

The development of a new hobby has truly been a lifesaver, and I strongly
recommend it to anyone who is going on disability.  Dick also does volunteer
work at the local hospital and with an organization for the handicapped.  All
of those are something to consider.

Margie     cg for Dick, 54/17