Good morning all,

    I rarely post anything about my dad but I did so on CARE yesterday. For
further comments I decided to also post on PIE.

    Today was the first time since last January that my dad went to his
neuro. At that time, he was doing good enough that his appt was scheduled for
6 mo, which would have put him going back in June. However, prior to his June
appt, he got notice that "some changes" were being made & that his next appt
wouldn't be until Oct. Even though dad wasn't concerned at that time, mom was
flabbergasted that he'd be put off that long. His doc is the head of neuro at
the local VA hospital.
    Up until several weeks ago, with the exception of minor differences &
difficulties, most everything's been going fairly smooth. Recently dad's been
having a good bit more difficulty walking. He would stand up & "want" to move
but wouldn't GO & he said it felt like he had to think before he would start
going. His steps would be uneven - sometimes "normal", but mostly taking
"baby" steps. Going up & down steps is a bit laborious. He stands w/his back
hunched & his knees bent.
    Due, I believe to the stroke that my mom had about 5 years ago, she's
having trouble handling & deciphering dad's symptoms & her reaction to what's
going on w/dad is that he's acting like an "old fool that she doesn't know
what to do with"
    Neither of my folks would bother to call the neuro's office because they
"thought" he wouldn't be able to get an earlier appt than Oct. Over the past
weekend I FINALLY persuaded my folks to at least make a call. Mon morning my
dad did call & was given the appt for this morning. after telling the nurse
what has been going on. They didn't believe it was going to be that simple.
My mom wanted him to change docs, etc, etc.
    Now, what did the doc say? From what I understand, the doc has put dad on
(an additional) med other than Sinemet. I don't even know for sure what #
Sinemet he takes but I think it's 6 a day. Doc saw dad before taking med &
then waited 45 min & examined him again & "saw no difference." He took a
mallet to dad knee & there was no reaction & then he used some other "thing"
that mom said vibrated & doc put it to dad's toes & dad couldn't feel it. Doc
asked dad if he had diabetes but there's never been any mention of that. He
also said that dad's "walk is not indicative of Parkinson's". Doc also asked
dad how the rest of his life is ... could there be anything going on
emotionally. Mom said he finally mentioned the fact that they are in the
process of trying to sell their house & move.
    Back at the time of my brother's wedding 18 month's ago, dad did go thru
a phase of not being able to move, etc., well at all.
    Any comments or suggestions?

Bonnie
daughter of Jim 77/4