Tom,
My experience is the same as Martha's. When John arrives in a poorly lit
room, he freezes. I know, it usually coincides with going through a
doorway but poor light does induce more freezing. As a therapist, I used
to try all sorts of different colours on the floor, walls, etc with my
patients and it always worked during therapy. But what about every day?
I am at the moment in the process of redecorating part of our house and
I have wondered if there was a way making walking easier for John. I
find accomodation a problem. When working with patients I had to renew
the coloured patterns often if I wanted the facilitation process to go
on working.( I am not going to redecorate every week). Incidentally, I
totally agree with you about swinging the arms, not just useless but
confusing. Obstacles on the floor help with walking and walking on
uneven ground also. Difficult in one's home!
Maryse  cg John(70,10)