Hi y'all,
I know that this subject has been dealt with a some length in the past but I
don't think that what I have to share was specifically covered, and a nonPD
friend of mine has been bugging me to share this and decided that he was
right.  I had a MAJOR problem with drooling after my second, bilateral
pallidotomy.  I went through a couple of handkerchiefs per day and despite
this, I also ended up with ugly, ineradicable saliva stains just below the
collar on all my shirts By the way, this is one of the typical reactions to
bilateral pal's that accounts for neurosurgeons' reluctance to do them.
First, my neurosurgeon rx'd robinol, a mild tranquilizer with some tendency
to dry you out. This was of minimal help.  I had better luck, although still
far from a solution to the problem by chewing gum--the bigger the wad the
better.   Then, many months later, quite serendipitously, my urologist rx'd
imipramine (tofranil) for excessive urination.   Imipramine is used primarily
as an anti--depressant but also as my urologist used it--to dry out my
system.  Well, since around the time I started using the imipramine, my
drooling stopped and is no longer a major problem although I continue to
drool a little sometimes.  This was accomplished with a minimal dose--40 mg
per day.  I hesitate to pronounce this as a cure for 2 reasons:  l.  Trained
to do research in my training as a psychologist, it was drummed into my head
that correlation does not necessarily mean causation.  2.
I recognize that this might have been an idiosyncratic reaction by me that
will not necessarily occur in others.  With these qualifiers in mind,  I
offer this info to you and I hope that it helps somebody.
Marty Polonsky