The attached email was posted on Saturday 14th butas far a I can see,
failed to make the list. clearly, Tom, Dennis and I are thinking along
the same lines:- that we have extracted as much as possible from the
subject for now. However, do please read the last paragraph of this
note  - it explains why I regard this as much more than an intellectual
excersise

Note originally sent on 14 Aug 99

Subject: What is  dyskinesia? - Summary
To: Parkinson's Information Exchange <[log in to unmask]>

It seems to me that we have had a most fruitful discussion on the subject
of Dyskinesia. I was amazed when I looked back and found that I first
raised the subject only 2 weeks ago.

My question remains unanswered, apart from my own theories: I shall of
course continue to polish my version, and pursue anyone who can suggest
any errors or changes in my model.

Tom Riess' thoughts on Dyskinesias and the visual system. provided a
fascinating insight into an area which has been largely ignored.
Looking back, I find it difficult to understand how I could fail to
realise that the visual system must play a valuable part in the control
of movement, and even though it may not cause the dyskinesia, there
are strategies which can help to reduce the severity of the Dyskinesias.

I am in no way trying to belittle Tom's work by attempting to fit it
into my model, where it resides as part of the feedback system,
operating in parallel and in series with the feedback nervous system.

Bye the way, a thought just popped up-  Is it purely coincidental that
when performing a pallidotomy on a PWP, the adjacent area close to the
operation forms part of the visual system!!

I must continue to pursue this subject because, over the world, PWPs
are sitting at home, bravely suffering the ravages which even the earlier
years can cause, simply because their neuro has told them that they are
'buying time' in later years when levodopa 'begins to show unexpected
motor responses'. If I am right, their efforts are a COMPLETE WASTE OF
TIME (sorry about the caps), but don't you think we are entitled to a
definitive statement?

--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>