Sample Letter for FY 2000 Appropriations

The Honorable [First and Last Names]
[United States Senate/United States House of Representatives]
Washington, DC   [20510/20515]

Dear [Senator/Representative] [Last Name]:

Like more than one million other Americans, I [my husband/wife/parent
etc.] suffer[s] from Parkinson's disease — a devastating neurological
disorder that destroys brain cells controlling the body's motor
function.  I ask that you do all you can to ensure that research
focused on Parkinson's disease receives the funding called for by
Congress within the fiscal year 2000 National Institutes of Health
(NIH) budget.

In 1997 the Congress overwhelmingly adopted the Morris K. Udall
Parkinson's Disease Research Act, historic legislation that authorized
the NIH to devote up to $100 million per year for Parkinson's-focused
research.  To date that funding has not been appropriated — despite
promising research and a compelling national need.  Moreover, the NIH
continues its disturbing practice of reporting to Congress funding
totals for Parkinson's that include a significant amount of research —
more than half! — that is not truly focused on Parkinson's disease as
required by the Udall Act.

I urge you to act this year to follow through on the promise of the
Udall Act by adding to basic Parkinson's disease research the NIH is
already conducting, specifically funding increases of $50 million for
the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke and $25
million for the National Institute of Environment Health Science in the
fiscal year 2000 Labor/HHS Appropriations bill.  To provide the
resources for these much needed increases, I urge you to support
efforts to keep the NIH budget on track to double over five years.

Please act this year on these important increases.  Time is not neutral
for people with Parkinson's — the disease is progressive, chronic and
absolutely relentless — and we can't afford to wait any longer.
Researchers are tantalizingly close to the cure, but finding it in time
for those currently suffering requires the additional funding
authorized by the Udall Act.

I look forward to receiving your response.

Sincerely,

[Your Name, Organization, and Address]