        My wife, Doris, 76/6, has had severe difficulties in breathing during her
off periods. The neuros tell us there are chest muscle rigidities and as a
consequence breathing is more "labored."  Better drug management will
reduce her off periods and that is all that we can do to improve her
breathing. I think much more is involved and I hope that some of you have
been plagued with a "breathing problem" and may come up with better advice.
        Her labored breathing, especially at night, results in severe contractions
of her diaphragm which has to compensate for the chest rigidities. This
pumping of the diaphragm, I feel sure, is  a major contributor to her
irritable bowel syndrome. Certainly, it keeps her awake for many hours.
        I have searched through many books on respiration as well as Parkinsons
and I am amazed how there is barely any attention to respiratory problems.
In the Parkinson literature there is attention paid to the soft voice, but
very little to breathing dysfunctions.
        Have others found a better resolution or is better drug management our
only path?
        I believe, only supported by intuition, that the respiratory problems are
a developmental sequel to her "internal tremors."   We were first told that
the internal tremors were not parkinsons related, but later neuros told us
they were. However no neuro has shown much interest in internal tremors and
how these may create a different package of problems  Doris does not have
external tremors. Do those of you with breathing problems also have
internal tremors?
        Jules, cg for Doris 76/6.