On Tue 17 Aug, Cynthia Shook wrote:
> Hi list....
>
> OK, I know you have helped me before but Mom is argueing with me about
> grandma's medication. Mom knows it needs to be taken on a pretty empty
> stomach but she is really scrambling things.
>
> Scenerio: Mom feeds Grandma, waits 2 hours then gives Siminet CR. Grandma
> takes this 3 times day. Mom said this is a hassle.
>
> I told mom she needs to give it about 30 minutes to an hour before Grandma
> eats so it will get into the system and there is not such a long time before
> getting something in the stomach and it won't upset. We are also working on
> a low-mid protein diet.
>
> Mom said that my way would be easier buuuuut she wants advice from all of
> you that have been dealing with PD longer.
>
> Thanks again for your help.
>
> Cindy

Hello Cindy, I am picking this up a little late, but better late than never:

I used Sinemet CR for several years, although with my present state (Diag
21 years ago) I cannot take the rate of flow.

When taking SinCR, I found that a) The tablet must be taken before a meal
and   b)  It is OK to take the tablet as close as 5 minutes before the meal.
   The reason seems to be that if we let a CR tablet get a 'toe-hold'
   against the lower intestine wall (where it is transmitted to the blood
   stream) , the result is that the link remains good, even though the
   food follows almost immedially afterward.

   Camilla's advice is the common sense one, but practical experience
   allows you that extra area up to just before the food is taken.

Regards,

--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>