from  T h e   I n t e r n e t   T o u r B u s  at:
http://www.TOURBUS.com:

The Urban Legend That Melts in Your Email, Not in Your Hands ...

As continuing proof that the brightness knob on my computer doesn't
work, I offer the following gem that has been cluttering up email
inboxes over the past couple of weeks:

      Hi.  My name is Jeffrey Newieb.  I am a marketing analyst for
      M&Ms chocolate candies based in Hershey, Pennsylvania.  As the
      year 2000 approaches, we want to be the candy of the millennium
      ... We are asking you to pass on this e-mail to 5 friends ...
      Everytime [this message] reaches 2000 people, you will receive a
      free case (100 individual 55 gram packs)of delicious M & M
      candies.

It is a cute story, but there's just one problem: M&Ms come from the
M&M/Mars company in Hackettstown, New Jersey, not from the Hershey
Foods Corporation in Hershey, Pennsylvania.  In fact, M&M/Mars and
Hershey are bitter rivals.  You'd think that the "marketing analyst
for M&Ms" would know that.

Obviously, this is yet another "forward an email message to all of
your friends and something great will happen" story.  Unfortunately,
if you forward the "free M&Ms" email to all of your friends, you won't
receive any candy.  You'll only make yourself look silly to your
friends and peers.  And I guess that is the whole point of this and
other Internet hoaxes.

For more information about both the free M&M hoax and all of its
ancestors (remember the "free trip to Disney" hoax?), take a look at
Barbara Mikkelson's wonderful "Thousand Dollar Bill" article at

<A HREF="http://www.snopes.com/spoons/faxlore/billgate.htm">
http://www.snopes.com/spoons/faxlore/billgate.htm </A>.