"Ronald F. Vetter" wrote:
> Parkinson's Disease Staging
>    * Stage I: Unilateral Involvement
>    * Stage II: Bilateral Involvement but no postural abnormalities
>    * Stage III: Bilateral Involvement with mild imbalance
>    * Stage IV: Bilateral Involvement with postural involvement
>    * Stage V: Severe, full developed disease (restriction to
> bed/wheelchair)

My father ( a PWP of around ten years) seems to have progressed from
stage III to stage V in a matter of 6-8 weeks and has been restricted to
bed for the last 2 weeks. Is this a common occurance?

He has had his medication relooked at by his neurologist and it was
changed, as it was felt that this was contributing to his situation.
Realistically, is it possible for him to regain his mobility?

Also, my father-in-law, (also a PWP of eight years) has in the last 4
weeks been exhibiting "reduced cognitive abilities", often rambling and
speaking irrationally, and often not knowing where he is. This has
happened suddenly, not progressively. He is due to see his neurologist
in the next few days. His medication is Sinemet and Permax. I have heard
that Permax can have this effect on some people. Is this correct?? and
could simply changing his medication quicly correct this?

With two PWP in our immediate family suddenly showing these symptoms, I
suppose I am looking for some reassurance and hope.

Regards
Glen Pagliaccio
Sydney, Australia