It is interesting to notice that almost imperceptibly certain attitudes are
becoming politically correct in our little community.  Which is a pity
because political correctness is a tool for social comfort not for truth.
Take, for example the subject of end stage Parkinson's.  Recent comments by
Joan Samuelson, as reported in the NY Times, brought this frightening
subject into discussion.  And how did we respond - we denied the problem
existed.  We said as to those who expressed their fear at the prospect of
Stage V PD that it would never happen. Have hope we said - look to the
future, look to the cure. And it is right that we said so - because we must
have hope and we must look to the future. We must also raise the money that
will
fund the research that will find the cure.  But we should not, in the
process, deny that Stage IV and V PD exists. It is not some bogey man
existing only in  imagination - it is real and for a great many of us it is
not in the future - it is already the present. What's
more it has not been put on hold because "the cure" is coming.  Even if the
cure is only 5 - 10 years away a great many of us now in the earlier stages
will experience these later stages.  If today we silence those people who
are prepared to share with us the fullness of their experience, by accusing
them of being pessimists and gloom and doom merchants merely for stating the
way things are for them, this community will be doing itself a disservice,
and one the current crop of Stage I II and III PWP will regret if the cure
is delayed by even a few years.

The thought of late stage PD is a frightening one - but the possibility of
having to face it someday cannot be ignored. No doubt the argument will be
made that for the newly diagnosed it is all to much to soon.  This is
possibly true, but I would suggest that the decision then rests with them to
read or not read such postings - to remain or not remain on this list . If
we, for reasons of political correctness join with PD in silencing the worst
afflicted of our community, we betray them - and we betray ourselves.

Dennis.
Dennis Greene 49/dx 37/ onset 32
There's nothing wrong with me that a cure for PD won't fix!
http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/
So let us tell hope