Subject: PMID: 10094251: Reassessment of unilateral pallidotomy in PD

> Reassessment of unilateral pallidotomy in PD:
> A 2-year follow-up study.
>
> We conclude that 2 years after pallidotomy, the improvements in dyskinesia
and tremor on the side contralateral to pallidotomy are preserved, while the
initial improvements in most other deficits disappear, either because of
progression of pathology or loss of the early efficacy achieved by surgery.

Dear everybody,

This article demonstrates once again that pallidotomy should not be done.

My patients two years after bilateral subthalamic stimulation are still
going strong, have no more freezing, no dyskinesias, no tremor and a
significant reduction in anti-Parkinson medication.  STN stimulation should
be approved in the USA and most European countries to benefit all patients
suffering from late Parkinson's disease and to prevent neurosurgeons to
continue to make lesions in the brains of Parkisnon parients i.e.
pallidotomies.

Best regards,

Chris van der Linden, M.D.
St. Lucas Hospital Ghent