Teresa wrote:

My mother takes Sinemet in liquid form 20-30 minutes before eating her
meals.  That has made a tremendous difference.  Of course, you may want to
see what others (who use the CR version) have to say.

Teresa, Daughter of Mama (57/43/38)
snip
and, Cindy wrote:

OK, I know you have helped me before but Mom is argueing with me about
grandma's medication. Mom knows it needs to be taken on a pretty empty
stomach but she is really scrambling things.

Scenerio: Mom feeds Grandma, waits 2 hours then gives Siminet CR. Grandma
takes this 3 times day. Mom said this is a hassle.

I told mom she needs to give it about 30 minutes to an hour before Grandma
eats so it will get into the system and there is not such a long time before
getting something in the stomach and it won't upset. We are also working on
a low-mid protein diet.

Mom said that my way would be easier buuuuut she wants advice from all of
you that have been dealing with PD longer.

Ron writes:

the efficacy of CR sinemet is not very much affected by meals, but it is
slow to become effective. that is, it takes an hour typically to reach
it's peak concentration in the blood plasma.

therefore, Teresa is right that her mother's method works well BUT is
not pertinent if taking CR version. Cindy, your mother should confront
grandma's doctor and tell him/her that the list advice is take the CR
upon awaking for the day, half an hour or so before lunch (if this is
about 4 hours after awaking), and half an hour before supper.  every
four or five hours

i presume these are 25/100 CR Sinemet. if they are 50/200 CR Sinemet,
use halves twice as often is my advice to the doctor and you all.

i am not a medical expert nor practitoner. converse with the doctor!
--
Ron Vetter 1936, '84 PD dz
mailto:[log in to unmask]