Dear Listmembers,

On August 4th I went to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration
[N.A.S.A.] base at Walliops Island, Virginia, to inspect some government
surplus items to be sold at auction the next day. I drove from Salisbury,
Maryland, to the base at Wallops and took my dog [Harley] with me.  The
guards at the N.A.S.A. base refused to let Harley enter the base property.
I had no idea that a dog on a leash in a vehicle would not be allowed on
base.

I was not having a good day. I was able to walk with a cane but wasn't very
steady. The temperature was at least 90 degrees F.  There was no place with
shade to leave Harley in the van. N.A.S.A. officials volunteered to take me
where I wanted to go on the base, but Harley had to stay behind. I was
parked in a handicap space just outside the gate with my blue handicap tag
hanging from the rear view mirror. I went in a N.A.S.A. truck to one of the
warehouses for a very few minutes and called for a ride back.

During that few minutes phone calls had been made to Goddard Space Center
near Washington and to Johnson Space Center near Houston.  Top brass had
decided to change the rules and allow any type of assistance dog onto all
N.A.S.A. facilities with a handicapped visitor and to permit assistance
dogs to accompany the visitor into any building where the visitor would be
allowed to go. Harley and I went in my van to the other warehouse with no
trouble. I left Harley in the van in a shady spot just outside the
warehouse which was a mile or so inside the base..

Harley and I have been going to obedience school. Harley has learned to
"BRACE" on command. If I fall or for some other reason need assistance in
getting on my feet, Harley will stand still and provide something for me to
use to push myself up. Harley is estimated to be almost half shepherd,
almost half collie, and of undetermined breed(s) for what's left. The
humane shelter said he would not grow any larger but they lied.  He can put
his paws on my shoulders and lick me [a little over 6 feet tall] in the
face.

Will Johnnston
A.P.D.A. DelMarVA Chapter Pres.
4049 Oakland School Road