In my meager understanding of this, a muscle "works" by each one of its
cells making a slight chemical change that changes its shape. When most
or all of these cells do that, the whole muscle changes shape, e.g., it
goes from long and thin to short and fat, thereby pulling on the bones
that it is attached to. In order for this change to happen, EVERY cell
in a voluntary muscle must be linked by two kinds of nerves to the
brain. An "efferent" nerve carries a signal to each muscle cell, telling
it what to do. Another "afferent" nerve carries a return signal that
tells the brain what the muscle cell is doing. A "neuromuscular junction
defect" means that one or the other of these connections isn't working.
Cheers,
Joe

--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694