UPDRS                                         18 Aug 1999
My thanks to Hans Genugten, for taking the trouble to post the
Unified Parkinson's Disease Rating Scale (UPDRS), which I had
often read about but never examined. Just for fun I used it to
rate myself (age 77, diagnosed '93) and gave myself a score of
37 out of a possible 175 (couldn't find the 199 Hans mentioned).
I'm sorry that I haven't done this at regular intervals since
the first diagnosis, as that would enable extrapolation to the
future. Self-scoring like this is usually optimistic, but in
this application of the UPDRS, a small error wouldn't matter
if the scoring is done consistently. I suspect most neurologists
would be reluctant to do the evaluation unless the patient asks
for it, since it might consume too big a part of the usual 15-min
appointment visit. Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694