At the risk of re-opening the Pandora's box of freezing, dyskinesia ,
akinesia again I decided to comment  on the backwards walking post...

I believe backwards walking occurs at  a specific stage of PD pathology in
regards to gait pathology.    This is when vision pathology dominates and
autonomic pathology is not as pronounced.  In order to take a step (of
normal length) one must displace  one's center of gravity forward beyond
the fall point. Such a manuever puts us in peril of falling if there is a
percieved or real inability to advance a leg and neutralize this displaced
center of  gravity.  So anyone with a percieved or real inability to
advance a leg will be inhibited from taking a step.  However, such
individuals can take a step if they can advance the leg without a prior
displacement of center of gravity beyond the fall point.  This is why I
believe that the short stride length steps  seen in PD is not primary
pathology but rather is a compensatory gait - the body's attempt at walking
while keeping center of gravity under foot.  An alternative maneuver which
will allow for more normal stride length is the Groucho Marx walk.  This is
a funny kind of gait where the upper trunk remains erect as the legs
advance.  Backwards walking works for the same reason.  Anatomically we are
put together so that walking backwards requires minimal displacement of
center of gravity

regards,

Tom