hi all

At 09:19 1999/08/25 -0400, hilary wrote:
>THAT DOESNT MEAN WE HAVE TO ACCEPT IT.
>I fight against the wheel chair - I will NOT use a walker -
>till I absolutely have to, and I fight against passivity.
>You, of all people, Janet, are a fighter. Maybe there are those
>whom biochemical passivity has rendered immobile physically and
>mentally. Personally, I have been rejectting that imagw of myself
>for 2 6  yuears, and I'll go on doing it for as long as possible
>- with a little help from my friends....

there are so many shadings to the word acceptance...
i don't have my dictionary or thesaurus handy
but
when i use the term acceptance
i do not mean 'give in to' 'succumb to' in a negative sense
i mean 'acknowledge' 'recognise' in a positive sense

as in the stages of grief:
denial
anger
bargaining
depression
acceptance

it's what i described in your 'disability description'
the facts ma'am just the facts

there are also many shadings to the word passivity
as there are many degrees to clinical depression
whose paralysis of willpower is its
most destructive aspect
[according to david burns md]

i have had to learn and still am learning
that my inner critical voice is a distortion and a lie
but i couldn't can't do that learning on my own
and that in itself was a tough lesson

working hard at facing reality smack in the face
under the bright light of day
seeing the joy in it
is where i find my energy and my fight and my gumption
and my compassion

janet

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
po box 171, almonte, ontario, canada, K0A 1A0
a new voice: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/