Hi Dennis---that was very interesting.  I'm not aware that here (in Ohio)
there are such strict guidelines for handicapped parking permits.  Peter's
primary doc said he was surprised we hadn't requested one before, and
immediately wrote out the needed note for me to take to the license bureau.

Often there are things in the papers--especially letters to the editor,
etc., about the privilege being "abused" by people who "don't look
handicapped".  These are followed by other letters pointing out that not
all handicaps are visible, etc.  Of course there are abuses in both kinds
of inappropriate use--people without permits parking in the spaces, and
drivers with permits parking there when the "handicapped" person is not in
the car.   Most stores and public places now have designated spots, with
the symbol clearly displayed, and for the most part it seems to work well.
I wonder if other states / countries have as strict a definition as Oz does?