Bruce wrote in part:
>Dear friends,
>
>There have been some concerns expressed to me about my research.  I would
>like to put these to
>rest.  First of all, I will restate the purpose of my research.
>
>The Topic: "A Comparison of the Efficacy of Online and Face-to-face
>Medical Support Groups to
>Satisfy the Needs of Their Membership."
>
>Research question #1:  is there a significant difference in the type of
>support provided by
>online and face-to-face medical support groups?
>
>Research question #2:  is there a significant difference in the level of
>support provided by
>online and face-to-face medical support groups?
>
>Research question #3:  is there a significant difference in the
>personalities of online and
>face-to-face medical support group members?

Bruce, I think this is very interesting.  I expect the face-to-face groups
vary a great deal, depending on the composition of the group, the
personalities and degree of impairment by PD of those involved. In our
local PD support group, which is small, there are some recently diagnosed
folks, but NO young onset PWPs--all are in the "senior" range.  Some have
difficulty participating,due to PD or to not being comfortable with groups.
Some come and "lurk", like folks who read but don't post on the lists.  We
used to split the group occasionally into PWPs and CGs, but it is so small
now , and there seems little interest in doing that.    While we often have
open discussion periods at the monthly meetings, there is very little of
the kind of sharing of feelings that takes place on PIEN.

On the other hand, I belong to an even smaller CG support group, where
members care fo loved ones with a variety of diseases.  It is much more
intimate in tone, and i think comparable to the level of "connection" and
sharing that takes place on CARE.

I wonder how much of a role is played by the "anonymity" of the
internet--we may feel freer to reveal ourselves when we know we won't meet
those "listeners" at church or the supermarket !   I will be very
interested to see whether you determine this is a factor.

Good luck with the  research.

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 81/70/55
Oxford, Ohio

                        "Ask me about the CARE list for
                        Caregivers of Parkinsonians ! "