I believe that there have been many Posts to our List regarding this issue.
It has been a subject of much US Government interest related to the use of
encoding programs and devices. Although equipment and programs are
available, as I understand it. The Governments concern is that such
security devices, would allow for an increase of international crime. There
are special systems that allow for transactions, ie, use of credit card
purchases. However, has had been said many times, one should never assume
the Internet is a confidential communication system. As I understand it one
needs only sign on to a chat room, one does not have to advise each new
joiner of their presence or business.

The use of nick names is one way to remain anonymous, in some ways, the use
of pass words by Servers is another way, but that information can be
obtained at the request of some authorities, ie, FBI.,  Police, etc..Again
the absences of confidentiality has been written about by members of our list.

As an aside, and for purpose of discussion, in the USA, when 3rd party
payments are made re: medical insurance, in most cases privilege is given
away when one wants Insurance payments for the medical attention provided.
I was surprised by the reaction of Patients / Clients when I advised them
that if they wished Insurance coverage, they understood that the Insurance
Company could request their records.

It is good that folks become aware of the limitations of our new
communication tools. We have extended the warnings, from buyer beware,
seller beware, to participants beware.....

I will assume that Bruce is a member of a recognized professional
organization,and as such he is committed to the Ethics of his profession. I
think he stated clearly what he wanted to do and why he wanted to do it,
and clearly indicated his openness to questions. He also indicated that no
one would be identified. He was interested in the difference of Internet
Support Groups and Actual Personal Support Groups. I assume we all know
that there is a difference, but exactly what those differences are would be
important to know. For example, about 80% of our communication is
non-verbal, and some folks feel that people are a lot more honest in
expression on the Internet, and in some ways more vulnerable.

Perhaps, folks might feel better if Bruce were to explain the categories in
his content analysis. This might be helpful in providing a more positive
interest in what he was interested in.

Bernie