On 26 Aug 99 at 19:31, J. R. Bruman wrote:

> Amantadine Withdrawal                                 26 Aug 99
>
> Judith, your recent posting should be a serious warning to users of
> amantadine (Symmetrel) that if they ever want to quit, they must
> taper off slowly and carefully. It bothers me that this might be
> news to them, because it's been in the good old PDR, all along.
>
> Amantadine is one of several neurological drugs whose abrupt
> withdrawal may on rare occasion cause a life-threatening syndrome
> _similar_ to Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome (NMS). The pedantic
> definition of NMS is reserved (by hair-splitters) for a condition
> caused by use of a neuroleptic (antipsychotic) drug, so the PDR
> articles always carefully avoid calling it that, but the effects are
> strikingly similar, including: extremely high fever, mental or
> consciousness deficit, muscle disintegration (indicated by plentiful
> myoglobin from dead muscle cells) and very swift onset.
>
> This Abrupt Withdrawal Syndrome (for lack of a better name) has been
> reported for other common PD drugs, for example tolcapone (Tasmar)
> and, guess what? our familiar levodopa/carbidopa (Sinemet)! Moral:
> Run, don't walk, to your PDR and READ IT!
>
> Cheers,
> Joe

Thankyou Joe, and thankyou Judith....

Even though I am familiar with this information, the mere mention of
the potential for psychosis always gets my full attention.  Too bad it
does not always get to all the neuros out there.  We must all be aware
and ever vigilant for our future safety!  This information belongs in
our "Carry with you Medical History".

best regards.... murray