-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of double a enterprises
Sent: Friday, August 20, 1999 4:14 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: "On/Off"

Chris, for me "on" is when the meds are effective (not when they are
supposed to be, just when they work) and off is all the other times.  Also
for Jules, I don't know if this is the same, and maybe someone else on the
list can help answer this or comment on it.  I have severe cramps and
contractions of limbs every time I go off meds.  My "normal" posture, when
off, is right foot curled and twisted, where I walk on the side of the foot.
Rt hand curls and lays under my collarbone, and then both are likely to
start shaking - my hand resembles someone strumming a guitar very quickly.
Less common, my torso will cramp - this was actually one of the first
symptoms I had that something was wrong - I get a severe pain in my left
(usually) ribcage, and dont breath for 2 to 3 min.  It usually stops just
before I loose consciousness, and may continue for 15 min or longer just
allowing me enough air to "enjoy" the experience.  I have felt internal
trembles occasionally, but they are rare for me.  The cramps were originally
diagnosed as a muscle set which had healed wrong.  Adding to the joy of
trying to figure out what is caused by what is the fact that I have broken
my ribs at least 15 different times from 1 to 5 ribs at a time (Willy Nelson
knew what he was saying with Momma's don't let your babies grow up to be
cowboys"), and broken too many other bones to keep track.  So when I have
pain spasms, I rarely know what the original cause was.  I guess what I am
asking is, I have read several "experts" who say pd isn't painful. Are they
correct, and is this caused by past injuries, or can pd be contributing to
the daily pain?
And can I look forward to more of the same? Most of the pain began when I
turned 30.  At the ripe old age of 40 now, I am beginning to get just a tad
depressed when I think about my health.  I am going to shut up and send this
before I think about it anymore, but if anyone has any suggestions, I would
love to hear them on or off list.
bob "tex"