Synapse 1997 Dec;27(4):294-302

Increased neostriatal dopamine activity after intraperitoneal or intranasal
administration of L-DOPA: on the role of benserazide pretreatment.

Silva MA, Mattern C, Hacker R, Tomaz C, Huston JP, Schwarting RK
Institute of Physiological Psychology I, Heinrich-Heine-University of
Dusseldorf, Germany.

L-DOPA provides the most potent medication to treat Parkinson's disease, and
such systemic treatment is usually combined with a peripheral amino acid
decarboxylase inhibitor to amplify its central effectiveness. Since L-DOPA
can lose its efficacy or can lead to adverse effects with prolonged
application, current pharmacokinetic and dynamic research is aimed at
improving the drug's applicability. In a previous study, performed with in
vivo microdialysis in the anesthetized rat, we have shown that intranasal
L-DOPA administration (without prior decarboxylase inhibition) can increase
extracellular dopamine levels in the neostriatum. Using similar experimental
conditions in the present experiment, we tested the neurochemical effects of
L-DOPA treatment in combination with the peripheral amino acid decarboxylase
inhibitor benserazide. In accordance with other data, it was found that the
combination of i.p. benserazide and i.p. L-DOPA led to pronounced increases
of extracellular levels of dopamine, dihydroxyplenylacetic acid and
homovanillic acid in the neostriatum, whereas i.p. L-DOPA alone only
moderately increased dopamine, but strongly increased the metabolite levels.
Furthermore, increased dopamine levels, and weaker increases of
dihydroxyplenylacetic acid and homovanillic acid were observed after i.p.
benserazide followed by intranasal L-DOPA. Finally, we found that i.p.
benserazide alone can lead to pronounced increases in neostriatal dopamine
and moderate increases of dihydroxyplenylacetic acid levels, whereas it did
not affect homovanillic acid. Thus, not only the combination of L-DOPA (i.p.
or intranasal) with the presumed peripheral L-DOPA decarboxylase inhibitor
benserazide, but also each component alone can affect dopamine activity in
the brain. Especially the findings with benserazide treatment might be of
relevance for understanding the mechanisms of current L-DOPA therapy, since
they indicate that part of the treatment's actions may possibly be
determined by central dopaminergic effects of the accompanying amino acid
decarboxylase inhibitor.

PMID: 9372552, UI: 98039821
----